At Highgate we use the Read Write Inc programme to give each child the best possible start to their literacy learning. Read Write Inc is a reading programme which teaches synthetic phonics in a structured exciting way. Children will start the scheme when they join the school in Foundation Stage and will work through the scheme until they can read confidently with good understanding.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using Read Write Inc, children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using Read Write to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using Read Write to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk.
- write simple sentences.
- compose stories based on picture strips.
- compose a range of stories based on writing frames.